Upgrading Projects and Diagrams
Note: Java Composer Projects were referred to as Java Voice projects in earlier versions of Composer, such as Composer Voice. While working with the current version of Composer, an upgrade is required for a previously-created Composer Project and Project diagrams. If you simply copy diagrams into a new Composer Project instead of upgrading the Project itself, then you must use the diagram upgrade procedure as described below. Genesys recommends that you create a dedicated workspace for 8.1 Projects and do not reuse the previously created workspace. This will provide a clean separation between the two versions as well as ensure that a backup copy is preserved for later reference or rollback.
A summary of the Composer diagram upgrade process is as follows:
- Obtain Composer 8.1 through Genesys Technical Support.
- Uninstall the older version of Composer. Before uninstalling the older version of Composer:
- Make a copy of your Composer workspace folder (which contains all your Project files), as your workspace may be deleted if it is located under the installation directory (C:\Program Files\GCTI\Composer 8.1\workspace).
- Uninstall the older version of Composer.
- Install Composer 8.1.
- Upgrade at a Project level or at the Diagram level as described below.
Routing Upgrade Limitations
A Project-level upgrade will automatically apply diagram-level upgrades for all the diagram files directly residing within the diagram (Callflows or Workflows) folder. As part of the upgrade process, Composer makes a back-up of the Project and its files, which are saved under the archived folder; for example: ./JavaComposerProject/archive/JavaComposerProject20100809184446388.zip To upgrade a Project created in a previous version:
- Import an old Composer Project into Composer's Project Explorer view. From the menu, select File > Import.
- In the Import dialog, navigate to General and double-click Existing Projects into Workspace.
- Browse to the Composer Project location and select the Project(s).
- Mark the checkbox Copy projects into workspace.
- Click Finish.
- In the Project Explorer, select the imported project and type F5 to refresh.
- Right-click the imported Project and select Upgrade Composer Project from the context menu.
- If the Project is upgraded, a message appears indicating that it is the current version. Otherwise, a prompt appears asking if you would like to upgrade this Project. Click the Yes button to start the upgrade process.
- View the upgrade report. Once the upgrade process is complete, Composer displays a report. The report is located in the Reports folder of the Project; for example:C:\Work\Temp1\Gate3IPTest\Reports\UpgradeReport_Gate3IPTest20090513155840979.html
Upgrade Error Message
After a Composer Project upgrade, the Project Upgrade Report may display the following error message: error while updating the .studio_config.properties. In this case, permissions for .studio_config.properties may be read-only or hidden. To resolve this issue, go to the file system and check for the studio_config.properties file located under the Composer Project directory. Set the file permissions so that the read-only and hidden file attributes are disabled/unchecked. Hint: To find where the current Project directory is located, do the following:
- Go to Composer's Project Explorer view.
- Right-click the Composer Project.
- From the shortcut menu, select Properties > Resource and look for Location., e.g., Location: C:\Program Files\GCTI\Composer 8.1\workspace\JavaComposerProject
Diagram File Upgrade
In Composer 8.0.2 and later, diagrams for voice applications are called callflow diagrams whereas in earlier versions of Composer they were called studio_diagrams. Follow the steps below if you have only copied older diagram files to a current version of Composer Project (or to an already upgraded Composer Project).
- In Composer's Project Explorer, select the Project destination folder to where you want the files to be imported, such as the Callflows or Workflows Project folder.
- Right-click and select Import.
- In the Import wizard, select the diagram files to import.
- After the import operation completes, right-click on the imported diagram file and select the upgrade option: Upgrade Callflow Diagram or Upgrade Workflow Diagram.
Changes as a Result of Upgrading
It is important to note the following:
- When upgrading to 8.1.1, references to internal variable names may have to be edited manually. See Variables Project and Workflow, Internal Variables Naming for details and examples. It is recommended that internal variables such as DB Data block database result variables not be used; instead, create User variables to store these results.
- A Project upgrade does not upgrade any custom blocks. When Composer is launched, it checks if any custom blocks need upgrading and upgrades them. There are no manual steps involved.
- When upgrading to 8.0.4/8.1, Project upgrading creates the folder ./WEB-INF/lib, copies files from ./lib to ./WEB-INF/lib, then removes the ./lib folder from the Java Composer Project.
- When upgrading from 8.0.2, the Entry block variable _COMPOSER_WSSTUBBING is renamedCOMPOSER_WSSTUBBING.
- When upgrading from 8.0.1 to 8.0.2, the Studio Diagram file extension changes from .studio_diagram to .callflow. For example: MyDiagram.studio_diagram changes to MyDiagram.callflow.
- To avoid any resulting file name conflict, the diagram upgrade will append a timestamp to the file name only if a .callflow file with the same file name already exists in the same folder; for example: Main_2010_02_19_123010.callflow. The Timestamp is of the following format: yyyy_MM_dd_HHmmss
- Starting with 8.0.2, the following callflow blocks contain a mandatory Output Result property: Menu, DB Input, Grammar Menu, Input, Get Access Number, Transfer, Statistics and Record. You supply this property by selecting a variable. Since this property is mandatory; if not supplied, an error occurs in the Problems View when validating the callflow.
- Upgrading to 8.0.2 or higher automatically populates this variable. For example, if the block is a Menu block and the block's name is Main_Menu, upgrading will add a Main_Menu variable to the Entry block (as if you added it manually) and will set the Output Results property to this variable.
- The GVP Next Generation Interpreter does not support the error.badfetch.badxmlpage event. If upgrading a callflow application from an earlier version that listed this event under Supported in its Entry block Exceptions dialog box, you will need to modify that Entry block by removing that event under Supported in the Exceptions dialog box.
- Composer workflow and callflow diagrams do not directly store diagram grid information. This preference is workspace-specific. If you are using a new workspace, you can set this value prior to upgrading Projects and diagrams so that the grid information does not change during the upgrade process.
Note: Workspace preferences can be exported and imported from File > Export or Import > General - Preferences.
Generating Code for multiple diagrams from command line
A command line option is availabe in Composer 8.1.3 and later to generate code for all diagrams for all projects in a workspace eclipse.exe -application com.genesyslab.composer.voice.generator.commandline.app -nosplash -console -consoleLog -data .\workspace
- Eclipse should not be running. This commandline will launch a headless instance of Eclipse that will exit once code generation is complete.
- Eclipse.exe should be executed from its installed location.
- .\workspace is the relative path to the workspace that contains your projects for which code should be generated
- This will generate code for all supported types of diagrams
- Callflow : VXML
- Sub-Callfow : VXML
- Workflow : SCXML
- Sub-Workflow : SCXML
- Interaction Process Diagram : SCXML
Migrating IRD Strategies
Starting with Composer 8.1, you can migrate routing strategies created with Interaction Routing Designer (IRD) 8.0+ into Composer Projects as SCXML-based workflow diagrams. For more information, see the
Composer 8.1 IRD to Composer Migration Guide.