Create and Manage List Rules
Use the List Rules feature to apply a set of rules to a contact list. There are two types of list rules:
- Selection rules - used to target specific records in a list based on filtering criteria. Only records that satisfy the criteria are imported.
- Upload rules - used to apply record splitting options to a contact list at the time of upload. Splitting criteria can be based on quantity, percentage, field, or custom criteria.
Each rule has a name, type, created and modified date, and a set of actions.
This page covers the following topics:
Create a Selection Rule
A selection rule is used to target specific records in a list based on filtering criteria. To create a new selection rule, click New Rule on the Rules page and select Selection Rule. You can filter the list using the following criteria:
- Field - If you want to filter a list by a particular field in your list, select the field here. Note: If you created labels for user fields (Other1-OtherN) and you selected the Display option when you created those labels, the new defined labels will replace the Other labels in this menu. See Create or Manage User Field Labels for more information.
- Type - These options vary, depending on the Field selection.
- Operator - Select the operator available with the selected Field.
- Value - Enter a defining value to search for in that field.
This table describes the supported operators for each Field Type.
|String||Numeric||Area Code||Country Code||Timezone||Exchange||State Code|
|Does Not Contain||•|
|Custom JS Expression||•||•|
|Less Than or Equal||•|
|Greater Than or Equal||•|
Click the plus sign (+) next to the rule to add an AND condition, or select Add Condition Set to add an OR condition. To delete a condition set, click the X in the upper right-hand corner for that condition set.
|Example||If you want to extract all customers with the last name Smith with a 506 area code from the existing contact list, specify the following:
Now click the plus sign (+) and specify the following:
Create an Upload Rule
Use an upload rule to apply splitting criteria to create additional contact lists.
To create a new upload rule, click New -> Upload Rule on the Rules page.
On the Upload Rules page, specify a name for the rule.
If you want to use a specification file, set the Specification File switch to the On position and select a specification file from the Specification File menu. If you want to use a data mapping schema, set the Specification File switch to the Off position and choose a data mapping schema to the Data Mapping menu.
At this point, you can do one of two things:
- In the Selection Rules section, apply an existing selection rule to the list being uploaded, or
- Check the Use Splitting box to split the contacts into targeted lists. See the Splitting Criteria section below for more information.
Splitting criteria determines how a contact list will be split into targeted lists. There are three types of splitting criteria, plus an option to customize the split based on previously-defined selection rules.
- Split by quantity – Specify how many contacts from the uploaded file will appear in each new list. If the original list size is not a multiple of the quantity specified, then the final list will contain the remainder of the contacts.
- Split by percent – Specify the percent of contacts from the uploaded file that will appear in each new list. If the percentage specified is not a factor of 100, the final list will contain the remainder.
- Split by field – Split the file by unique contacts in the specified field. For example, “create a separate new list for each unique value contained in the Other3 field.” Note: If you created labels for user fields (Other1-OtherN) and you selected the Display option when you created those labels, the new defined labels will replace the Other labels in this menu. See Create or Manage User Field Labels for more information.
- Custom – This allows you to split the file using previously-defined selection rules. See Custom Splitting Criteria for more information.
Select Create remainder file when you want the remaining records not included in a selection rule criterion to go into a separate calling list.
Custom Splitting Criteria
Once you select the Custom splitting option, all available selection rules populate in a new menu, labelled List rule 1. All the rules listed in this new menu will be an exact match to all selection rules listed in the List Rules section of CX Contact. You can use any of these selection rules to split a contact list.
Apply Multiple Selection Rules
You can use the plus sign (+) icon next to a rule to create additional contact lists by applying additional selection rules to the splitting criteria (the short video demo to the left shows you how). If you do this, the system will move through the list of rules sequentially, starting with List rule 1, then List rule 2, and so on, and look for records matching that rule. Note: You can only choose one selection rule per contact list.
To change the order of the selection rules, simply hover over any selection rule (List rule 1, List rule 2, etc.) and drag it to the new location within the list.
To delete any selection rule from the splitting criteria, click the trash can icon next to that rule.
The Use Waterfall rule option is enabled by default so that when the system matches a record to a selection rule, it will stop attempting to match that record to subsequent selection rules. If you disable this option, the system will attempt to match a single record to all selection rules, meaning that the record could potentially be duplicated in contact lists.
Output Name Formats
When you select Custom splitting, you must specify an output name format. The following naming conventions are supported for this field.
|LIST||Constant part of the contact list name, as provided via API call|
|yyyy||Current year with century as a decimal number (ex. "2017")|
|MM||Current month number as zero-padded decimal number (ex. "05", "08", "11")|
|dd||Current day in month number as zero-padded decimal number (ex. "07", "31")|
|hh||Current hour (24-hour clock) as a zero-padded decimal number (ex. "17", "00", "08")|
|mm||Current minutes as a zero-padded decimal number (ex. "59", "01", "19")|
|%d||Sequential part number of the generated list|
|ACCOUNT||Tenant Name in human readable form|
|%v||Value of the contact field used for splitting on (ex. "CA" if splitting by State)|
|%r||Rule name for the corresponding custom bucket|
Edit or Delete a List Rule
From the Rules page, you can edit or delete a rule:
- Edit - Click the pencil icon from the Actions menu.
- Delete - Click the trash can icon from the Actions menu, or check the box to the left of the rule and click Delete (located at the top of the page, next to the New option).
Duplicate a List Rule
You can duplicate any selection or upload rule from the main List Rules page.
Locate the rule you want to duplicate, and from the Actions menu, click the Duplicate icon:
When you click the Duplicate icon, a copy of the original rule opens. You can change any of all of the rule's properties, or leave the default properties, and then click Update Rule. The new rule will appear on the List Rules page.