What is Geolocation
Geolocation is the identification or estimation of the real-world geographic location of an object. IP geolocation is the process geolocation that is based on the client's IP address as the into a physical location.
When geolocation is enabled it allows Genesys Knowledge Center to store client IP address and its relevant geolocation information in the History index. Stored information is mostly useful in the reports allowing to understand regional differences in the knowledge usage by the agent and customer.
IP geolocation is inherently imprecise. Locations are often near the center of the population. Any location provided should not be used to identify a particular address or household.
The actual location of the IP address is likely within some radius area around the latitude and longitude coordinates.
Configuring IP Geolocation
The Administrator is able to configure the precision of the geolocation for the Knowledge Center cluster (cluster/reporting/geo) as:
- off - disable the IP geolocation functionality: both IP and longitude and latitude are empty for historical records
- IP - only IP address is stored, Knowledge Center is not identifying geographic location of the customer
- country - IP and country name longitude and latitude of country are stored
- city (default) - IP, country name and and city longitude and latitude are stored
Described levels are defined in the Knowledge Center Cluster option geo that is located in section reporting.
Visualize the Geolocation Information
This stored data is used in the Kibana to visualize:
- a geo-map with requests heat indicators
- the top 10 countries
How to Update the Geolocation Database
Geolocation functionality requires a special database to translate a client's IP address to the geographical location of the customer. When Genesys Knowledge Center Server is installed it provides the MaxMind GeoLite2 City database stored in <installation directory>\linguatools\geoip folder. The folder storing the database can be changed in the gks.yml file:
... path.geoip : <IP folder>/GeoIP/GeoLiteCity.dat ...
To update the database you need to:
- Visit MaxMind GeoLite2 database download page. Note: Knowledge Center is not supposed to work with other MaxMind products (for example, GeoLite or GeoIP, please use GeoLite2).
- Download the most recent version of the City database.Note: Please download database in MaxMind DB binary format.
- Unarchive the database.
- Store the database in the folder configured in the gks.yml file
- Restart Genesys Knowledge Center Server.
- These steps needs to be executed for every Knowledge Center Server node in the cluster.
- You can store the geolocation database in shared network location to ensure that it is updated for all Knowledge Center Server nodes.