Turning on Geolocation
Web Engagement Server can collect information about a visitor's IP address, as well as converting this information into the visitor's geolocation coordinates. This capability is turned off by default.
To convert IP addresses into geolocation coordinates, Web Engagement Server uses a library and a GeoDB file (GeoLite2-City.mmdb) provided by MaxMind.
Web Engagement installs GeoLite2-City.mmdb automatically into Web Engagement installation dir\server\etc. However, you may need to upgrade it to the most recent version. To do that, follow these steps:
- Download the GeoLite2-City.mmdb file from MaxMind.
- Place the downloaded file into Web Engagement installation dir\server\etc.
- Restart Genesys Web Engagement
Before you start your Web Engagement Server, make sure that the following options from the [privacy] section have the appropriate values:
- collectActualIPs = true
- collectForwardedIPs = true
Verifying Geolocation Coordinates
There are two ways to determine whether your geolocation coordinates are being calculated properly:
- Use the Advanced Reporting Dashboard and view the results in the map widget
- Inspect the Cassandra database and find one or more VisitStarted events
If the transformation is working, the data object of your VisitStarted events will contain one of the following fields, depending on the value of the geoMode option: location, city, or countryCode.