Preparing to Migrate WFM
Before you deploy Workforce Management for your migration or upgrade, you must consider the following:
- The changes or new features in the release that you are migrating to and how they will affect your migration. See Changes in WFM Releases.
- The order in which you should complete the migration tasks. See Order of Migration.
- What to do if you need to roll back your installation. See Rolling Back the Installation.
For a complete list of WFM system requirements (supported and discontinued) for each release, see the Genesys Supported Operating Environment Reference Guide.
Changes in WFM Releases
Changes in WFM 7.x, and 6.5 releases are briefly described below. For WFM 8.x releases, click the links below to find changes and new feature descriptions.
- For WFM 8.5 releases, see Workforce Management 8.5 Release Information.
- For WFM 8.1 releases, see Workforce Management 8.1 Release Information.
- For changes in the WFM 8.0 releases, see the section "New Features in 8.0" in the Workforce Management Administrator's Guide.
Migrating Security Settings to 8.x
If you are migrating from WFM 7.x, users are imported with the same security settings as they had previously.
If the security settings have been broken down into more specific functions, users who had access to the functionality in the prior version keep the same permissions. However, in some cases you might want to adjust the security settings to take advantage of the increased granularity.
For example, users who had permission to edit the Calendar now have permission to Add/Edit/Delete items and to Prefer/Grant/Decline items. You can change the security settings to allow one set of calendar modification settings but not the other.
WFM 8.5.x deployment—that is, configuration and installation of the components—is essentially the same as for version 7.x. Note that beginning with version 7.2, WFM Reports Server is no longer a separate installation package.
If you are currently running WFM 6.5, deploying Workforce Management 8.5.x releases differs from your current version in two major respects:
- The installation of WFM components is now performed using separate installation packages rather than a single one.
- The increased capabilities of the WFM Web component eliminate the need to deploy a Windows-based client for many current WFM users. The majority of WFM users, with the exception of those who need to configure the WFM system and its working rules, use the browser-based WFM Web only.
When your database objects are migrated to a WFM 8.5.x release, some terms have changed. See New Terminology in Post-6.x Databases for a list of these changes.
New Terminology in Post-6.x Databases
WFM 7.1.2 introduced some new terms and made changes to some existing configuration objects. The table below provides only basic information about the changed terms. For detailed explanations of these, and all WFM objects, see the Overview and Deployment Planning.
The following new terms did not exist in 6.5:
- Task Sequence
- Calendar Item