Using Genesys Softphone
This topic tells you how to use Genesys Softphone on your workstation, including how to start Genesys Softphone, activate and register users, view device and user status, and make and receive calls.
Starting Genesys Softphone
Genesys Softphone starts in one of two ways:
- If your administrator has set up Genesys Softphone to automatically launch when Windows starts up, you do not have to start Genesys Softphone yourself. Look for the Genesys Softphone icon in the system tray to verify that it is running.
- Otherwise, double-click the Genesys Softphone shortcut in your Start menu.
To open Genesys Softphone interface, right-click the Genesys Softphone () icon from the System Icon tray and select Open:
Softphone status indicators
Genesys Softphone displays different icons in the System Icon tray to alert users about its status and if there are any warnings or errors.
If you see a warning icon, hover your mouse pointer over the icon to read a tooltip summary of the problem.
|Waiting for agent login|
|Agent logged in and connected|
|Voice quality is currently degraded|
|Microphone is muted|
Activating and registering the user
When Genesys Softphone first starts, it reads the your information from the Softphone.cfg file, and automatically registers you.
To verify that the you are registered, after starting Genesys Softphone, right-click the Genesys Softphone icon from the System Icon tray and hover over the Connectivity menu. You can register or unregister a connection by selecting and deselecting the check marks.
The notification area shows that Genesys Softphone is active and ready to take calls.
Selecting the input and output devices
Genesys Softphone configures the input and output devices during start-up when it reads the list of devices from the Softphone.config file. However, if required, you can change the brand of device used while Genesys Softphone is running.
To select an input or output device:
- In the application, click the devices tab.
- Select the appropriate microphone from the Input Device list.
- Select the appropriate speaker from the Output Device list.
Viewing the Genesys Softphone users and status
You can configure up to six SIP user accounts for each Genesys Softphone instance.
To view the number of configured users and their statuses, right-click the Genesys Softphone icon, and click Open. The Genesys Softphone window is displayed. Click the status tab.
Making and receiving calls
You can make and receive calls from the calls tab.
From this tab, you can perform the following operations:
- Answer an incoming call: Click the button of an alerting call to answer. If you are on another call, that call will be placed on hold.
- Hold a call: When you switch to another call, the currently active call is placed on hold.
- Retrieve a call: Click the phone icon button of a call that is on hold to retrieve that call.
- Hangup a call: Click the hang-up button to terminate a call. You can terminate calls that are on hold.
- Dial and make a call: You can make a call by selecting an originating account (connection) from the connections list, entering a destination number, and clicking Call. Making a new call while another call is active places the existing call on hold.
Muting the microphone
The microphone button shows the current mute status, either muted or unmuted. Click the microphone button to change the status.
Mute/unmute functionality works on the application level, not the system level. The mute button is only available when there is an active call.
Muting the microphone in Genesys Softphone is done on the session level. The mute status does not depend on the selected devices nor on device presence and status. A session can be muted even if a microphone is not plugged in.
You can also mute/unmute the microphone from the System Icon tray menu by right-clicking the Genesys Softphone icon (toggle to unmute)."