Deploying Genesys Softphone
This topic describes how to install and configure Genesys Softphone in your environment.
Ensure that your environment meets the prerequisites described in this section.
Supported operating systems
Refer to the Genesys Softphone topic in the Genesys Supported Operating Environment Reference Manual for a list of the latest supported operating systems.
To work with Genesys Softphone, you must ensure that your system meets the software requirements established in the Genesys Supported Operating Environment Reference Manual, as well as meeting the following minimum software requirements:
- Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 (32 bits version): The Genesys Installation Package installs this redistributable package on the workstation where it is executed.
- Windows Media Player for ringtone playback.
- .NET Framework 4.0 or higher: This is used at installation time only when the Administrator installs Genesys Softphone with HTTPS connector based on a self-signed certificate.
- QoS requirement for voice, either one-to-one or on a conference connection capability, require the following:
- ≤ 150 ms of one-way latency from mouth to ear (per the ITU G.114 standard)
- ≤ 30 ms jitter
- ≤ 1 percent packet loss
- 17 to 106 kbps of guaranteed priority bandwidth per call (depending on the sampling rate, codec, and Layer 2 overhead)
- 150 bps (plus Layer 2 overhead) per phone of guaranteed bandwidth for voice control traffic
Installing Genesys Softphone
To install Genesys Softphone, follow these steps:
- Double-click the setup.exe file that is located in the <Genesys Softphone Install Directory>\windows\ directory to open the Genesys Installation Wizard.
- In the Welcome to the Installation window, click Next.
- In the Choose Destination Location window, click Next to accept the default destination folder, or click Browse to select another destination location.
- In the Deployment Type window, click Standard then click Next.
- In the Startup and Secure Connection options window, you may choose one or more of the following options, and then click Next:
- Auto Startup: Specifies that Genesys Softphone launches when Windows starts up. This means that agents do not have to manually launch Genesys Softphone before they launch Workspace or other agent desktops.
Enable Dynamic Configuration Connector: Specifies that Workspace Web Edition (Agent Desktop) is allowed to dynamically configure Genesys Softphone when it is launched.
If you choose the Enable Dynamic Configuration Connector option, the Dynamic Configuration Connector Parameters window is displayed.
- Specify the Connector Port for Genesys Softphone. This port must be compliant with the value specified by the sipendpoint.uri option.
- Enable HTTPS secure connections (optional). If you choose a secure connection, you must choose the type of security certificate that you use. :
ImportantTo properly install the self-signed certificate, .NET Framework 4.0 or higher is mandatory.
- Self-signed Certificate: In this mode, the IP creates a self-signed certificate, installs it in the Personal Certificate section of the workstation where setup.exe is executed and also installs it as a root certificate authority at Machine level in the workstation where setup.exe is executed.
- Certificate Authorities from the Windows Certificate Store
- In the Ready to Install window, select Install. The wizard installs Genesys Softphone and all associated files in the selected directory and displays the Installation Status window. The installation might take several minutes.
- In the Installation Complete window, select Finish.
Installing Genesys Softphone in Silent mode
To install Genesys Softphone in Silent mode, use the Installation Wizard Silent arguments as follows:
- Update the genesys_silent.ini file by making the following modifications:
- Add the path to the Genesys Softphone installation directory. For example, InstallPath=C:\GCTI\Genesys Softphone.
- Specify whether Genesys Softphone starts automatically when Windows starts up by using the Startup=<Std or Auto> parameter.
- Specify whether Workspace Web Edition can dynamically modify the Genesys Softphone configuration by using the Connector=<Disable or Enable> parameter.
- If you are deploying Softphone for Workspace Web Edition dynamic configuration:
- If the Connector is enabled, specify the Connector Port by using the ConnectorPort=<port number> parameter.
- Specify whether the connector uses HTTPS secure connection by using the HTTPS=<NotUsed or Used> parameter.
- If you are using a secure connection, specify the certificate type to be used by using the CertificateType=<SelfSigned or WindowsStore> parameter.
- If you assign the value WindowsStore to the CertificateType option, specify the certificate thumbprint by using the CertThumbPrint=<certificate thumbprint> parameter.
- If you are upgrading Genesys Softphone specify:
- IPVersion= <current version of Genesys Softphone on this box (before upgrade)>
- IPBuildNumber= <current build number of Genesys Softphone on this box (before upgrade)>
- Execute the following command:
setup.exe /s /z"-s 'FullPathToGenesysSilentConfigurationFile' -sl 'FullPathToGenesysSilentResultFile'" where:
- /s specifies that the installation is running in InstallShield Silent Mode.
- /z passes the Genesys Silent mode silent parameters to the installation.
- -s specifies the full path to the silent configuration file. The <Full path to Genesys Silent Configuration file> is optional. If the <Full path to Genesys Silent Configuration file> parameter is not specified, the installation uses the genesys_silent.ini file in the same directory where the setup.exe is located.
ImportantEnclose the value of the <Full path to Genesys Silent Configuration file> parameter by apostrophes (') if the parameter contains white symbols.
- -sl specifies the full path to the installation results file. If the <Full path to Genesys Installation Result file> parameter is not specified, the installation creates the genesys_install_result.log file in the <System TEMP folder> directory.
ImportantEnclose the value of the <Full path to Genesys Installation Result file> parameter in apostrophes (') if the parameter contains white space characters.
The InstallShield setup.exe installation starter requires that:
- There is no space between the /z argument and quotation mark. For example, /z"-s" is valid, while /z "-s" is not valid.
- There is a space between the -s,-sl parameters and quotation mark. For example, /z"-s c:\temp\genesys_silent.ini" is valid, while /z "-sc:\temp\genesys_silent.ini" is not valid.
setup.exe /s /z"-s 'C:\8.5.000.05\windows\b1\ip\genesys_silent.ini' -sl 'C:\GSP\silent_setup.log'".
- After executing this command, verify that Genesys Softphone is installed in the C:\<Genesys Softphone Installation Directory>, and that the silent_setup.log file has been created in the C:\GSP\ directory.
Configuring Genesys Softphone
Genesys Softphone installation includes a configuration file (<Genesys Softphone Installation Directory>/Softphone.config>) with configuration settings that are applied to the Softphone when it starts.
The configuration file is organized into containers. Each container is divided into domains that are further divided into sections that hold the settings for a group of parameters. The following configuration file examples describe the settings in each container:
For the description and valid values of each parameter, see Configuration Options Reference.
The Basic container sets the Genesys Softphone user's DNs and the protocol used.
<Container name ="Basic"> <Connectivity user ="DN0" server="Server0:Port0" protocol="Protocol"/> <Connectivity user ="DN1" server="Server1:Port1" protocol=" Protocol"/> </Container>
The Genesys container sets the policy, endpoint, session, device, connector, codecs, proxy, mailbox, system, and security parameters.
Configuring the agent's DN
Set the following TServer section option for the DNs of the Place to which the agent is logging in:
- sip-cti-control = talk,hold,dtmf
For information about configuring DN objects, see the Genesys Administrator Extension Help.
Configuring SIP Server
Genesys recommends setting the following SIP Server options:
- dual-dialog-enabled=true (default value)
- make-call-rfc3725-flow=1 (allows for better and/or simpler codec negotiation)
- ring-tone-on-make-call=true (default value)
For more information about these options, see the SIP Server Deployment Guide.
Suppressing the ringtone
The ringtone is generated for all incoming calls to Genesys Softphone. To suppress the ringtone for third-party call control for the originating DN, configure the following SIP Server option: