The Genesys Softphone embeds the Genesys SIP Endpoint Core Library to take advantage of the SIP-based third-party call control functionality.
The following diagram illustrates the Genesys Softphone architecture when it is installed on a physical workstation as a standard executable gathering all product functionalities:
Architecture in VDI Environments
Genesys Softphone supports the Citrix Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI). When deployed in this kind of environment, the Genesys Softphone software is divided into two parts:
- The application layer, running in the Virtualized system. This is the Genesys Softphone executable. The user interface runs here as well as connectivity with other applications, such as Workspace Desktop Edition and Workspace Web Edition. You install this through the Genesys Softphone installation package by selecting the Citrix installation option.
- The Signaling Protocols, the Media Protocols, and the Audio Device management. These are off-loaded to the physical workstation to optimize call quality and ensure network and data center scalability. It is a plug-in (DLL) to the VDI Client run-time (Citrix Workspace app, previously known as Citrix Receiver). It is deployed by the Genesys Softphone VDI Adapter installation package.
The two Software parts communicate over the Citrix ICA proprietary protocol already established for standard Citrix operations; therefore, there is no need for any extra connectivity settings.
The following diagram illustrates the Genesys Softphone architecture in the Citrix VDI environment:
Features and functionality
Genesys Softphone supports Dual-Tone Multi-Frequency (DTMF) signaling according to the RFC 2833 standard for third-party call control.
After receiving a NOTIFY with DTMF event, the Softphone endpoint generates DTMF signals.
DTMF can be sent by using one of the three possible methods:
- RFC 2833
- SIP INFO message
Third-party call control
When the Genesys Softphone endpoint has registered on Genesys SIP Server, it will support the following third-party call control scenarios:
- Make a call
- Answer a call
- Hold and retrieve a call
- Single step and two step transfers
- Participate in a conference that is provided by the GVP
- Play DTMF signals.
Genesys Softphone supports the following codecs for SIP signaling:
- PCMU/8000 (G.711/mu-law)
- PCMA/8000 (G.711/A-law)
- iLBC/8000 (iLBC — internet Low Bitrate Codec)
- iSAC/32000 ((iSAC/32kHz) — internet Speech Audio Codec)
Genesys Softphone supports the following security protocol:
- TLS v1.2
For more information about security, refer to the Genesys Security Guide
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI)
Softphone supports Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) to enable agents to use Softphone in a VDI environment.
Softphone can be deployed in a Citrix virtual environment.