Running Out of Memory
If you are working with a large amount of data, such as deploying large or multiple Solutions with Solution Deployment, the installation process might fail with one or both of the following indicators:
- In the gax.log, the following entries:
- lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
- java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
- In the Genesys Administrator Extension interface, on the Solutions Packages screen, there might be an error message similar to:
Error while fetching lists of dns. There has been a server error.
These errors are caused when the Java heap space or PermGen space is not large enough to support the current process.
The default size of the Java heap is 64 MB. In the default installation, the heap size is set to 1024 MB (the Tomcat default is only 64 MB). If you still need to increase the memory assigned to Tomcat, do one of the following, based on your operating system:
- On Linux, editing the $CATALINA_HOME/bin/setenv.sh file and adjust the memory file.
- On Windows, insert the following lines into the JavaServerStarter.ini file, creating the [JavaArgs] section line if necessary:
This file is used only by Windows Services and sets the starting parameters for GAX as a Windows Service.
[JavaArgs] -Xms2048m -Xmx4096M
To increase the PermGen space:
- Set the following field in the GAX start up file, JavaServerStarter.ini:
- Change the following line in the setenv.bat script:
Set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -server -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError
If you continue to see these errors, continue to increase the heap or PermGen size as necessary.