Migrating to Net-SNMP
Starting in release 8.5.1, you can use Net-SNMP, instead of the Genesys SNMP Master Agent component, to implement SNMP functionality. Net-SNMP and Genesys SNMP Master Agent can run in parallel on the same system, if the following conditions are met:
- Only one connection to an SNMP Master Agent can be configured on each Solution Control Server (SCS).
- The ports used by the SNMP Master Agents must be unique, and not used by any other application.
Solution Control Server and Local Control Agent support both implementations.
To migrate to Net-SNMP from Genesys SNMP Master Agent, you must:
- Install Net-SNMP on each host machine on which you will be using Net-SNMP Master Agent, using the instructions in the "Installing Net-SNMP" section of the Framework Deployment Guide.
- Convert each Genesys SNMP Master Agent to a Net-SNMP Master Agent, using the following steps:
ImportantSCS reads the configuration settings of the SNMP Master Agent Application object and uses the option values to connect to Net-SNMP. Therefore, you must ensure that the option values configured for the SNMP Master Agent Application object in the Configuration Database match the actual configuration settings in your SNMP Master Agent.
- Locate the Genesys SNMP Master Agent Application objects that you want to replace.
- Stop and uninstall the Genesys SNMP Master Agent applications. There is no data loss but, during this time, the NMS cannot query SNMP information from those components configured to report their status through the Genesys SNMP Master Agents being replaced.
- In the Server Info section of the Configuration tab of the Application objects, make the following changes (if the field is not already set to the appropriate value):
- Set Host to the Host object on which this Net-SNMP Master Agent will be running.
- Update Listening Ports as necessary.
- Set Working Directory to the Net-SNMP installation folder.
- Set Command Line to the name of the Net-SNMP executable.
- Set Command Line Argument to the same command-line argument used to start the service or process. This information is used by LCA to identify that Net-SNMP is started and running a third-party application.
- In the Options tab, make the following changes:
- Create the section [snmp] if it does not already exist.
- In the [snmp] section, set the netsnmp-enable option to true. This enables Net-SNMP in the SNMP Master Agent Application object. If this option is not set, or set to false (the default), SCS and LCA treats the object as a Genesys SNMP Master Agent.
- In the Annex tab, make the following changes:
- Create the section [start_stop] if it does not already exist.
- In the [start_stop] section, set the start_command and stop_command options to the path and filename of the batch or shell scripts to start and stop (respectively) the Net-SNMP application.
- Save your changes.