This section describes how to use the Genesys Softphone.
Starting the Genesys Softphone
You can start the Genesys Softphone in one of two ways:
- If your administrator has set up Genesys Softphone to automatically launch when Windows starts up, you do not have to start Genesys Softphone yourself.
- Double-click the Genesys Softphone shortcut in your Start Menu.
To open the Genesys Softphone UI, right-click the Genesys Softphone () icon from the Icon Tray:
and select Open.
Softphone status indicators
Genesys Softphone displays different icons in the system tray to let users know its status and if there are any warnings or errors.
If you see a warning icon, hover your mouse pointer over the icon to read a tooltip summary of the problem. This tooltip will include the type of protocol your Genesys Softphone is configured to implement: "SIP" or "WebRTC." Specify which type is displayed when reporting an incident to your Administrator.
|Waiting for agent login|
|Agent logged in and connected|
|Voice quality is currently degraded|
|Microphone is muted|
Activating and registering the user
When the Genesys Softphone first starts, it reads the user's information from the Softphone.cfg file, and automatically registers the user.
To verify that the user is registered, after starting the Genesys Softphone, right-click the softphone icon from the Icon Tray and hover over the Connectivity menu. You can register or un-register a connection by clicking and toggling the check marks. The notification area shows that the Softphone is active and ready to take calls.
Selecting the input and output devices
The Genesys Softphone configures the input and output devices during start-up when it reads the list of devices from the Softphone.config file. However, if required, the softphone user can change the brand of device used while the Genesys Softphone is running.
To select an input or output device:
- In the application, click the devices tab.
- Select the appropriate microphone from the Input Device drop-down list.
- Select the appropriate speaker from the Output Device drop-down list.
Viewing the Softphone users and status
Each Genesys Softphone instance can have up to six SIP user accounts configured.
To view the number of users configured and their statuses, right-click the softphone icon, and click Open. The Genesys Softphone window displays. Click the status tab.
Making and receiving calls
You can make and receive calls from the calls tab.
From this tab, you can perform the following operations:
- Answer an incoming call—click the button of an alerting call to answer. If you were on another call, that call will be placed on hold.
- Hold a call—when you switch to another call, the currently active call is placed on hold.
- Retrieve a call—click the the line button of a call on hold to retrieve that call.
- Hangup a call—click the hangup button to terminate a call. You can terminate calls that are on hold.
- Dial and make a call—you can make a call by selecting an originating account (connection) from the connections combo box, entering a destination number, and clicking Call. Making a new call while another call is active places the existing call on hold.
Muting the microphone
The microphone button shows the current mute status, either muted or un-muted. Clicking the microphone button changes the status.
Mute/un-mute functionality works on the application level and not the system level:
- The mute button is only available when there is an active call.
- Muting the microphone in the Softphone is done on the session level. The mute status does not depend on the selected devices nor on device presence and status. A session may be muted even if a microphone is not plugged in.
You may also mute/un-mute the microphone from the tray icon menu. To mute/un-mute the input device:
- Right-click the Softphone icon, and click Mute.
- From the same menu, click Un-mute un-mute the input device.