Log files are an integral part of Genesys software, and they are the main sources of information when troubleshooting application issues. The faster that relevant, accurate, and consistent log files are provided, the sooner an issue can be resolved. However, many problems can occur when trying to retrieve the log files necessary for troubleshooting. Common problems include:
- The logs for the time when the problem occurred have been overwritten or otherwise lost.
- Logs delivered are not within the event time frame.
- Log files provided were created with log levels not detailed enough for the investigation.
- The set of logs provided is inaccurate or incomplete for various reasons, including:
- Could not find or did not have access to some log file locations.
- Time differences between hosts made it difficult to identify the correct log files.
The Log File Management Tool utility is intended to minimize these issues, and thereby reduce the time required to resolve customer problems.
The LFMT has two components, the LFMT Server and the LFMT Client.
The LFMT Server performs these functions:
- Periodically copies snapshots of the log files for the Genesys applications you define during initial LFMT setup.
- Compresses the copied log files and transfers them to a central Log File Server in your network.
- Allows you to specify retention settings for the copied log files on the Log File Server, based on storage available on the Log File Server and/or the likely time period for which logs might be required if a problem occurs with a given Genesys application log files.
- Indexes the copied log files on the Log File Server by product and timestamp.
- Compresses the copied log files to minimize storage requirements.
The LFMT Client allows you to:
- Configure the index settings for the copied log files stored on the Log File Server.
- Scrub log files of sensitive data through user defined regular expressions.
- Easily search and select log files to be packaged.
- Upload packaged log files directly to an FTP.
- Download packaged log files directly through an internet browser.
Supported File Types
The type of log files that can be managed by the LFMT are:
- Application log files—*.log
- Application snapshot log files that can be opened for writing—*.snapshot.log. These are log files that are not destroyed when an application terminates unexpectedly. Snapshot logs that cannot be opened for writing are created in the same folder as other log files, and are erased when the application terminates.
- Additional log files, such as ccilib.*.log files generated by GVP components, or NCOfault.log files.
- Core and dump files created after an application terminates unexpectedly—core.* and dmp.*.
- If necessary, files not related to the Genesys components, such as Dr. Watson log files, Microsoft IIS log files, or Tomcat log files.