The Log File Management Tool (LFMT) is a plug-in for use with Genesys Administrator Extension (GAX). It consists of two components, the Log File Management Tool Server and the Log File Management Tool Client.
Log File Management Tool Server
The Log File Management Tool Server, also called the LFMT Server, consists of the following:
- Log Collector, which collects the log files for storage in the Central Log Storage (CLS) repository.
- Central Log Storage (CLS) repository, the central repository in which all log files for all applications using the tool are stored.
- Log Indexer, which monitors the CLS repository, indexes the files as they arrive at the CLS, and compresses the CLS files for storage.
- LFMT Database, the central repository where all information about the copied log files is stored.
In addition, actual file compression and transfer is performed using RSYNC, a highly efficient file transfer mechanism that maximizes throughput while minimizing bandwidth. RSYNC must be installed on each host that is running an application for which you want to use the LFMT to collect copies of log files.
The Log Collector consists of the following:
- Cfg2FileList.jar—This Java executable runs when the tool is first started, and thereafter on a regular basis (either manually or scheduled to run automatically). It connects to the system Configuration Server and identifies all log files that are configured for copies to be transferred, notes where they are located, and creates input paths to where they will be stored in the LFMT Log File Server repository.
- logfile_<xyz>.lst —These files contain the application location information retrieved by Cfg2FileList. They essentially provide a map between where the log files come from and where they are stored on the Log File Server.
- logpuller.sh—This scripts also runs manually or automatically on a schedule. It uses the information in logfile_<xyz>.lst to retrieve the log files, direct RSYNC to retrieve copies of the log files from the applications, and stores them in CLS.
Central Log Storage
The Central Log Storage (CLS) is the central repository that contains all log files collected by the LFMT. The CLS stores the files retrieved by the Log Puller at locations set in the logfile_<xyz>.lst file.
See the configuration option retention_period in the app_config section.
The Log Indexer indexes log files stored in the CLS based on regular expressions defined in the LFMT configuration settings. Genesys recommends that a no more than three indexes are configured for each log file type. The Log Indexer also compresses log files received at CLS for storage. This functionality also uses regular expressions defined in the LFMT configuration settings.
The LFMT Database contains the indexes to the log files stored in CLS. This enables requests for log files to be processed quickly and cleanly.
Log File Management Tool Client
The LFMT Client is a Genesys Administrator Extensions (GAX) plug-in. It is a web server application that provides the interface through which you specify the log files to retrieve, package, and upload to a given location. The LFMT Client passes your requests to the LFMT Server, which retrieves the specified files, assembles them into a package, scrubs sensitive data, and uploads the package to the specified location.
Furthermore, the LFMT Client allows for configuration of specific LFMT Server functions such as log collection intervals, indexing, and scrubbing.