Pulse Advisors Migration Procedure – 9.0 Releases
Procedure: Migrating the Advisors Applications to Release 9.0
- Ensure that you have a backup of your current Advisors components and all associated configuration before migration. In particular, you must back up the Platform database. Genesys strongly recommends that you also back up the Metric Graphing database and the Advisors Genesys Adapter metrics database. Before proceeding with the migration procedure, ensure that your backup databases can be restored.
- Starting with release 9.0, the Object Configuration User is no longer required or used in an Advisors deployment. In addition, this user is not required by the migration utilities or any migration procedure when upgrading to Advisors release 9.0.0. However, in case you have to roll back to release 8.5.2, Genesys recommends that you keep the Object Configuration User in the Configuration Server until you have verified that you have a successful installation of Advisors release 9.0.
- Genesys recommends that you read the Database Recommendations for MS SQL Server Users and Database Recommendations for Oracle Users sections in the Pulse Advisors Deployment Guide before proceeding with this migration procedure.
- There are changes to the default location for log file storage starting with Advisors release 9.0.001; when installing components, you might have to specify the log file storage location. For more information about log files, see Adjust Logging Settings and Configure Administrative Actions Logs in the Pulse Advisors Deployment Guide.
- Important Security Information for Users of Linux Servers
- If you install Advisors components on Linux machines, be aware that there are additional security concerns related to Advisors installation. The Advisors installation wizards are graphical installers. To run these installers as they were intended, you require the X Windows System on your Linux machines.
- Without the X Windows System, passwords that you enter during the installation process display in plain text; therefore, during installation, Genesys recommends that you take extra precautions to ensure that only users with the correct security permissions are allowed to view the screen where you are running the Advisors installers.
Ensure that all the external prerequisites are in place (see Supporting Software Components).
Upgrade your database software, if required.
Uninstall the previous version of each application from the server.
The previous installation must be completely removed by deleting or renaming its installation directory.
Genesys recommends that you uninstall the Windows services for the Advisors CCAdv XML Generator and Advisors Suite Server (that is, the Platform Server) before you rename or delete the installation directory. Uninstalling the Windows services requires files that are in the installation directories you are going to delete or rename.
If the migration fails and you must roll back to the previous version, changing the directory name to the original name suffices.
Migrate the databases.
It is very important to migrate the databases in the following order:
Migrate the AGA metrics databases. The AGA metrics database must be migrated before any other in any environment – Oracle or MSSQL.
Ensure you grant Select permissions for all AGA Metrics views to Advisors Platform.
Make a backup of the Platform schema. Ensure that the backup can be successfully restored. Compare the restored and the original schema to ensure that they are identical.
Migrate the Platform database.
If you are implementing a migration from an earlier Advisors release, be sure to review the data migration paths before starting your migration.
If any of the Oracle Platform migration scripts issue the following error, ORA-20001: spCreateOneSourceView ORA-01031: insufficient privileges, and you are sure that the Platform user has been issued all necessary privileges, then you might have role-based Oracle security set for the Platform user. Make sure you take the migration script from the current_user sub-folder in the installation package. You can apply the correct script on top of the one that you applied previously. If your installation package does not contain such a folder, edit the script by replacing all entries of DEFINER with CURRENT_USER and re-apply the script; if you prefer, you can contact Genesys Support to obtain the edited script. Alternatively, you can set up the enhanced Oracle security to run Advisors applications as an application user with least privileges. For instructions, see Least Privileges: How to Configure Advisors Database Accounts with Minimal Privileges.
If you use CCAdv/WA, migrate the Metric Graphing database.
The script for the Metric Graphing database is included in the CCAdv/WA installation package (IP). The script to migrate the Metric Graphing database includes the word “migrate” in the filename.
Be aware that some Advisors components are controlled by the Genesys Solution Control Server (SCS). Integration with the SCS means you must:
- Install the Local Control Agent (LCA) on each system that runs any of the components that integrate with SCS.
- Configure a Host in Genesys Configuration Server for each system that runs any of the components that integrate with SCS.
- Configure an Application in Genesys Configuration Server for each Advisors server that runs one or more of the components that integrate with SCS.
See the following pages in the Genesys Pulse Advisors Deployment Guide for detailed information:
Install the Platform service.
Install the Advisors Genesys Adapter(s).
Install one or more of the Advisors components, such as Contact Center Advisor, Workforce Advisor, CCAdv XML Generator, Frontline Advisor, and/or Resource Management, as required in your deployment, and the associated Web Services and adapters.
The order in which you install the preceding Advisors components is not important. However, you must plan the installation and be ready to specify XML Generator application names when prompted by the installation wizards. Specify the application names in the Applications section of Genesys Administrator before deployment. The application names you provide in the installation wizards must exactly match the names specified in Configuration Server. See the Prerequisites and the deployment procedures in the Pulse Advisors Deployment Guide for detailed information.
XML Generator is required for Contact Center Advisor to function. XML Generator is not used in the WA application, although XML Generator must run at least one cycle immediately after you install it. This is necessary to generate a set of views used by CCAdv and WA to access metrics data sources.
XML Generator also loads metadata during this cycle: names of switches, applications, agent groups, and the relationships among them, which are subsequently used in CCAdv and WA configuration.
You must run the advisors-platform-<targetversion>_ValidateDatabaseInstall.sql script as the schema owner after you install XML Generator and before you start it.
Make any additional configuration changes required. For example, if you changed memory allocations in your original Advisors installation, you must reconfigure those settings after migration. The settings revert to default values when you re-install the Advisors suite during a migration.
For detailed information, see relevant component chapters in the Pulse Advisors Deployment Guide.
If you use metric or object segmentation filters and you are migrating to a 9.0 release for the first time, then run the Object Migration utility using the Reconfigure Advisors Filters Business Attributes option to update your existing filter configuration to be compatible with release 9.0 configuration. You can find more information about this option on the Object Migration Utility page in this Guide.
After you have verified a successful migration to release 9.0, you can remove the Object Configuration User from your configuration. Starting with release 9.0, the Object Configuration User is no longer required or used in an Advisors deployment.
Genesys recommends that you review the metric counts and make sure that your existing Stat Server configuration continues to correspond to the expected load. See the Genesys Pulse Advisors Hardware Sizing Guide for information about estimating the number of requested statistics for Frontline Advisor.
This page was last modified on January 24, 2019, at 18:53.