Supervisor: How do I Monitor Calls?
- 1 Supervisor: How do I Monitor Calls?
Supervisor call monitoring lets you silently listen-in or barge-in on calls that your team is handling for the purpose of maintaining quality. You can also coach any agent who is logged in.
Before you can monitor calls, you must be logged into VCC Dashboard and be assigned both Supervisor and Agent roles. Having an Agent role means that you can receive and accept inbound calls.
You must also log in your device (your hard/soft phone number) that you're using to monitor the call using the Login – Call Monitoring dialog box, which pops up after you log into VCC Dashboard or click :
When entering your device number, make sure that you use + at the beginning of your number. If you're not expecting to do any call monitoring, you can skip this login. However, if you later need to monitor a call, you can still access this login if you click . Only agents who are logged in can be monitored.
How do I start a call monitoring session?
You can use the Users table to select an agent to monitor, which starts your call monitoring session. You can only monitor one agent at a time.
- Click beside the name of the agent that you want to monitor to open up the Monitor Agent dialog box.
- Using the Monitor Agent dialog box, select the Types, Modes, and Follow... options. See What are the different types of call monitoring options? for more information.
- Click Monitor. You will see a confirmation message at the bottom of your screen that the monitoring has started. Your selected agent has to take a call before you can see the Interaction toolbar. The Interaction toolbar is used to control the call or call monitoring options.
How do I end a call monitoring session?
The monitoring session ends when either the agent completes the call or you click End Monitoring.
End Monitoring displays next to the agent being monitored and at the top of the page, in case the user that you're monitoring is not in your current view.
What are the different types of call monitoring options?
Before you can be bridged to a call for monitoring, you must select a monitoring option; or if you are actively monitoring other calls, you can change the monitoring options. The different monitoring option categories are:
- Types: you can choose between Silent, Coach, or Barge in
- Modes: you can choose either Single Call or All Calls
- Follow: you can choose either Agent or Call
When you start monitoring an agent, the default monitoring options are: Silent / Single Call / Agent.
What are the Types options?
The options are:
- Silent — You can listen to the call, but the agent and the caller cannot hear you. You can switch to Barge In using this type if you are using the Follow...Call scope.
- Coach — You can listen to the call, talk to (coach) the agent, but only the agent can hear you. You cannot switch to Silent or Barge in using this type.
- Barge In — You can join the conference call and both the agent and the caller can hear you. You also have all the call controls.
What are the Modes options?
The options are:
- Single Call — The monitoring session stays active for a single call. After the call is completed, the Monitor icon automatically changes from to , so you can start monitoring this agent again.
- All Calls — The monitoring session stays active even after the monitored call is completed and waits for the next call to come in. Only the icon is available.
What are the Follow options?
The Follow options are the scope of the call. The two options are:
- Follow...Agent — Follows the agent after the call is transferred.
- Follow...Call — Follows the call after the call is transferred to another agent.
How is the call monitoring indicator enabled?
Administrators can enable a call monitor indicator to display on VCC Agent Desktop to let agents know that they are being monitored.
How do I escalate from Silent to Barge in?
You can escalate a call by switching from one monitoring state to another during an active call — for example, when monitoring to check an agent's performance. You can start a call monitoring session using any monitoring type, mode, and scope combination. Silent can be changed to Barge In if you are monitoring a call and using the Follow...Call scope.
You can switch from Silent to Barge In by clicking the Barge In icon:
How do I return to Silent from Barge in?
Call monitoring examples
The following examples are all the possible call monitoring combinations.