Handling Chat Interactions
Chat is real-time two-way communication between you and your contact through your computer.
During a chat session, you and your contact enter text in the Chat Interaction view, and the view maintains a scrolling list of the written correspondence. A small notice appears next to your contact's name when he or she is typing. The text your contact types appears on both chat views.
- Send a response to the contact (see the Handling a chat tab).
- Set a disposition code.
- Use the Note to attach a note to the interaction history.
- View Case Information (attached data) for the current interaction.
- Start a Voice consultation (internal targets and contacts).
- Transfer a chat session.
- Select Mark Done for the current interaction.
Handling a Chat Interaction
The name of the contact is displayed at the top. If you place your mouse pointer over the interaction in the Interaction Bar, the elapsed time of the interaction and the last lines of the chat transcript are displayed.
Connection-status information is displayed next to the contact drop-down menu. Use the contact drop-down menu to call the contact if the contact's phone number is available from your contact database.
The Chat toolbar is above the Chat Transcript area. Use the Chat toolbar to do the following:
- End Chat — Select End Chat () to stop the current chat interaction.
- Instant Chat Transfer — Select Instant Chat Transfer () to redirect (transfer) the current chat interaction to an internal target by using the Team Communicator.
- Consultation — Select the Team Communicator to start a voice consultation with an internal target or a contact. To consult with an agent group, or a skill, choose the name of the skill, group, agent, routing point, or queue, and an available agent with that skill or in that group or queue is notified of your consultation request.
- Mark Done — Complete a chat session and close the Chat Interaction view by clicking Mark Done () for the current interaction. You might be configured to specify a disposition code before you can click Mark Done. The Mark Done button is displayed after the Chat interaction is ended.
- Information — View information about the contact in the Information tab.
- History — View the history of interactions with this contact in the History tab.
Chat Transcript Area
The Chat Transcript area displays the contents of the chat messages you exchange with your contact as well as system information, such as the names of participants as they join and leave the chat session, and the time of each event and message. System and message content is color-coded by participant to distinguish the owner of each message visually. You can select and copy text from the chat transcript.
You might be configured to have a nickname (pseudonym) displayed as your participant name instead of your real name or your user name. A nickname might be a generic name for all agents in your group, or it might be a unique identifier for you. If you are configured to have a nickname, your nickname is displayed to the contact in the contact's chat transcript.
Chat Message Area
The Chat Message entry area enables you to enter and preview your message before you send it to your contact. The Chat Message entry area enables you to perform the following actions:
- Type text.
- Paste, copy, and select text by using the context menu.
Pending Response Indicator
When you receive a message from your contact, a timer is started. The timer indicates that you have a pending-response to your contact.
The pending-response indicator is displayed next to the interaction-type icon () at the top of the interaction view.
The color of the pending response indicator begins as green. If you have not responded by a specific time interval, the indicator changes to yellow. If you still have not responded by a second time interval, the indicator changes to red and begins to flash.
If you have a pending response, and the Chat interaction view is not the active view, it begins to flash in the Windows taskbar, regardless of the condition that is displayed by the pending-response indicator.
If you place your mouse pointer over any flashing item, a preview of the interaction is displayed and the flashing stops. The preview displays the latest message from the contact.
Agent Desktop plays a tone every time a chat message is received. That means that you are alerted to a new message even if the Agent Desktop application is covered by another application.
Transferring a Chat Session
To transfer a chat session you have accepted, perform the following steps:
- Select the Instant Chat Transfer () button. The Team Communicator is displayed.
- Choose a transfer target.
- Select Instant Chat Transfer.
- If the target accepts the interaction, the interaction view closes.
- If the target rejects the interaction, an error message informs you that the target has rejected the interaction.
Depending on your system configuration:
- You might have to set a disposition code before you click Mark Done .
- You might be able to click Mark Done without a disposition code.
- You might have to choose from a single list of dispositions.
- You might have to choose multiple, nested dispositions.
Mandatory Disposition Codes (Optional Feature)
Your contact center system might be configured to make selecting a disposition code for each call as mandatory. If so, after the active call is complete, you must select a disposition code for the call. After the disposition code is selected, you must click Mark Done to dismiss the Disposition Code dialog box.
Selecting a Single Disposition Code (Optional Feature)
Select a disposition code for the interaction by clicking the radio button next to the appropriate code.
Selecting Multiple Disposition Codes (Optional Feature)
If your system configuration requires you to enter multiple dispositions, these dispositions are set both in the Case Data area and in the Disposition tab.
In the Case Data area, if the drop-down lists for options, for example Caller Type and Program Type (the names might be different in your system) are not available, click + to add the drop-down lists, then use the drop-down to specify the Disposition.In the Disposition tab, select a disposition code from each of the disposition drop-down lists. You might have to select a disposition from the first list to populate the second list.
Depending on your system configuration, this feature might not be available as it is optional. This feature is made available by your system administrator.
Adding a Note
To add a note:
- Click the Note tab.
- Click in the text field to give it the focus.
- Type your note.
- Click Save to save the note contents to the interaction record, or, click Cancel (or press ESC) to clear the note text field without saving the note.
Depending on how your system is set up, you might only be able to edit the content of the note as long as the chat interaction is active or released. Check with your supervisor to determine when the note content can no longer be edited.If you transfer the chat to another agent, the note will be transferred with the chat.